Erik Reuter wrote:

<some snips>

> I liked them. Rafting down the endless river was a great idea.

Yeah!  I enjoyed the trip very much.

> Yes, Simmons best work.

Concur!

> I guess it will never happen. Hyperion is too high concept to make a
> viable movie. If by some chance it is made, it will surely be dumbed
> down and much of the story will need to be cut.

To make this for the widescreen, it would have to be dumbed way down.
However, based on what the SciFi channel did for "Dune" and "Children of
Dune", they could do a credible job keeping at the original intent and
intellectual level of the books.  Done right and completely, it could be
longer than (and just as good as) Shogun.  Done right, I would enjoy this
immensely.

George A