--- Kevin Tarr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I wrote:
> >--- William T Goodall wrote:
> > >

>http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994072
> > >
> > > "Europe may be breathing a sigh of relief as its
> > > record-breaking
> > > heatwave eases, but there is still plenty to
> worry about. Temperature
> > > changes caused by global warming are likely to
> > > transform agriculture on
> > > both sides of the Atlantic....
> ><snip>
> > > The eastern and western seaboards of the US will
> > > become much wetter
> > > over the next century, while some central states
> > > will become so starved
> > > of water that they will be unable to support
> > > agriculture at all. "
> >
> >I'd guessed it from our drought -- Colorado is one
> >of the places forecast to become more arid in this
> >report:
> >
> >"But Kansas, Colorado and Nebraska are just some of
> >the central states that could suffer drought, the
> >researchers say in two papers published in June
this
> >year (Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, vol 117,
> p73 and p 97)."
> >
> >So, are the idiot developers still putting in
> Kentucky
> >bluegrass lawns instead of native prairie grasses?
> >-oh, yeah.  >:/
<snip>

> Colorado and Nebraksa? You mean the states that have
> active sand dunes? Now
> how could sand be there, if drought is caused by
> global warming?

<drily>
Well, sand in and of itself isn't the issue -- after
all, Florida and Hawaii both have sand too (and maybe
dunes, for all I know).  The problem is loss of
rainfall in already-arid or semi-arid regions, which
can convert useful-to-humans land into non-livable
land (and that says nothing of the flora and fauna,
see link below).

>Could it
> be natural hundred and thousand year cycles causing
> drought and wet
> conditions? Nah, that's too easy (and there's no
> money to be made off of it).

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/paleo/drought/drght_data.html

<scratches head in puzzlement>  Uh, as to the latter,
*I* certainly won't profit by proclaiming that human
activity is contributing to the current warming.  Or
is profiting from selling drought-tolerant lawn-grass
unacceptable, while profiting from raising gasoline
prices right before a holiday weekend is merely
"taking what the market will bear?"  :P

<sarcasm mode off>
No one denies that the climate changes, that it has
done so in the past, and will do so in the future; it
is the current and near-future-calculated
*rate-of-change* that concerns many scientists now -
and human activity has affected the rise of greenhouse
gases.

http://www.publicaffairs.noaa.gov/releases2000/feb00/noaa00010.html
"Researchers at the Commerce Department's National
Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration have found
evidence that indicates that the rate of global
warming is accelerating and that in the past 25 years
it achieved the rate previously predicted for the 21st
century (2 degrees C per century)..."

http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwarming.nsf/content/climateuncertainties.html
"Scientists know for certain that human activities are
changing the composition of Earth's atmosphere.
Increasing levels of greenhouse gases, like carbon
dioxide (CO2 ), in the atmosphere since pre-industrial
times have been well documented. There is no doubt
this atmospheric buildup of carbon dioxide and other
greenhouse gases is largely the result of human
activities.

"It's well accepted by scientists that greenhouse
gases trap heat in the Earth's atmosphere and tend to
warm the planet. By increasing the levels of
greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, human activities
are strengthening Earth's natural greenhouse effect.
The key greenhouse gases emitted by human activities
remain in the atmosphere for periods ranging from
decades to centuries.

"A warming trend of about 1°F has been recorded since
the late 19th century. Warming has occurred in both
the northern and southern hemispheres, and over the
oceans. Confirmation of 20th-century global warming is
further substantiated by melting glaciers, decreased
snow cover in the northern hemisphere and even warming
below ground..."

Civilizations that may have collapsed under natural
drought conditions include the Mayans (mentioned in
the link you gave), and the 'Anasazi' in the Four
Corners area.  It is likely that the Anasazi
contributed to their collapse by over-cutting trees
and cutting water channels/creating arroyos:
http://www.abc.net.au/science/features/societies/#anasazi

The Easter Islanders denuded their home of trees,
leading to eventual collapse of their civilization:
http://www.abc.net.au/science/features/societies/#easter

Data for the impact of recent temperature rise on
various animals and plants has been documented:
http://www.stanford.edu/dept/news/pr/03/root18.html

"Global warming is having a significant impact on
hundreds of plant and animal species around the world
-- although the most dramatic effects may not be felt
for decades, according to a new study in the journal
Nature...

"...The authors pointed out that, although plants and
animals have responded to climatic changes throughout
their evolutionary history, a primary concern for wild
species and their ecosystems is the rapid rate of
change predicted during the next century...rapid
climate change, coupled with the loss of habitat and
other ecological stressors, could lead to the
disappearance of species -- a consequence that might
be avoided by taking proactive instead of reactive
conservation measures..."

<soapbox>  We can't control what natural changes occur
in Earth's weather, but we *can* identify what we
might be doing to exacerbate that change, and take
steps to minimize it.  Or we can relax emissions
standards as the current administration has done, and
blithely assume that our children or
great-grandchildren will figure out how to clean up
our mess.

Debbi