Indian Country Today considers the use of sports names, symbols, mascots and

logos depicting American Indians by non-Indian teams and organizations as
being offensive. Its policy states: "... the name 'Redskins' is a derogatory

term that for at least 300 years has been used to insult, ridicule, deride,
and generally cast prejudice and hate upon American Indian peoples. The term

has been used and continues to be used as a racial epithet."

Since when... Maybe 300 years ago... If it was an effective "epithet", it
would be in everyday language for the average 14 Year-old boy.  Its comical
to think of a young kid using the words "You redskin!" as insult. Unless
"redskin" sounds something like "Beeoottchhhh!!", I think they have it all
wrong..

>...so there could be a possibility that the survey results are biased. Jon

I heard on NPR about local and state gov't changing geographical names as
well, in response. The most common change was from using the term "Squaw"
(like Squaw river, peak, mountain, etc). Again... "You're such a Squaw!"
Makes you laugh....

As for the pot calling the kettle black, as a youngster, I was seriously
discriminated against for being white among Indians.  Can't tell you how
many times I got indian rug burn from the masters themselves....
My own experience was laced with the demonization of racism = where I was
looked upon as the criminal and the bad guy, stereotyped even in play. They
had their own terms for people like me. Ironically, they would only play
football if I was my own team. It was beneath any of them to be on the side
of a white person. Imagine 15 indian boys playing football against one white
boy (being undersized did not help).

Now I am not saying Indians are racist. I am talking about kindergarten
children acting themselves... I guess I just see such statements (as above)
as hypocritical. Does that make me racist?

Nerd From Hell