On Saturday, October 18, 2003, at 12:00 pm, Jan Coffey wrote:

--- William T Goodall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Saturday, October 18, 2003, at 04:35 am, Doug Pensinger wrote:

So I'm assuming, after reading this:
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112983,00.asp, that I can't
play tunes downloaded from ITunes on my Musicmatch jukebox?

So much for ITunes. 8^P

I think the idea is to use iTunes as the player instead of whatever inferior software you were previously hampered by :)

Great thread, it's realy merging this list with the DSP list I am on.

Anyway, If the iToons incoding is not standard MP3 and will not play on
anything but iTunes, then what is the point?

The music sold on the iTunes store is in AAC encoding with DRM. It plays on the iTunes player, on the Apple iPod, and you can burn it to CD. Since you can burn it to CD, you can rip to any DRM-free format you like at the cost of some quality and inconvenience. A DRM system that let you bypass it with no inconvenience wouldn't be a DRM system...

I'm certainly not going out and
buying a compleatly seperate device that my slate workes just as well for!

I have one device which is my wallet, IR key, data store-computer, walking
web access, phone, portable game machine, scientific calculator, music
player, gps/map source, etc. Why the frell would I want another device just
for music, epecialy when my slate is actualy smaller? It makes no sense!

Why would I want to have to have to play iTunes downloaded songs seperatly
from other songs in my network? Like I'm going to go to the trouble of
switching apps. What if I download some Bennett from iTunes, and I want to
listen to it along with the latests Murphy which I bought and ripped?

It's your choice of course - if you don't like it don't use it :) The fact that it doesn't suit you doesn't invalidate Apple's approach, which seems to be quite successful so far.

It ammazes me how a company with so much inovation, with such a nack for good
UI and a clear understanding of generating a good user experience can suffer
from 20 years of bad market and marketing decisions and still continue to
make the same mistakes.

They've arguably made many different mistakes under different management over the years, but not the same ones.

I wish I could follow a recent-grad into their first day at apple marketing
or product managment initiation. I can see it now: "wellcome to your first
day hear at Apple. We hope that your carrier here with our marketing and or
product managment departments will be an enjoyable one, now if you could all
form up into a single file line here at the sign reading "Lobatomy", we will
have you on to your first assignment in no time.

I don't think they've made many mistakes since Steve Jobs regained control. Apparently Dell and Apple are the only two (large?) personal computer makers that are profitable.

So HP/Compaq and Gateway and such must be run worse than Apple?

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone." - Bjarne Stroustrup