At 07:54 PM 10/26/2003 -0800, you wrote:
Ok, let it not be said that I never admit I'm wrong. I read another review of the new music services (iTunes, MusicMatch and Napster) in the Washington Post, and the reviewer praised iTunes and panned the others.
So I downloaded it, thinking if it's that much better, I'll go through all trouble of re-recording my music.

I doon't have to re-record anything, when I installed the software, low and behold, it asked me if I wanted to copy my mp3s to my iTunes library.
In a few minutes, I was up and running.

So far the software looks like it's easier to use and more reliable, but doesn't have quite as many bells and whistles as MusicMatch - no great loss really.

I have one gripe - playing albums. In MM you can drag an album name to the playlist and it plays all the songs on the album, albeit you have to take the additional step of reordering them in the original sequence else it plays them in alphabetical order (??). In iTunes you have to go to Edit/Browser and double click the album in the browser, which is no huge deal except that the music is played in some random, unchangeable order and the songs overlap (???).

Speaking of albums. I know many people don't like buying whole albums because they don't want to pay for a lot of filler they'll never listen to. By the same token, I like to listen to whole albums in allot of cases - there are just some albums that play well.

So I wonder in this new age of downloading music a song at a time and consolidating it all on one piece of media if the album format will begin to disappear. In many cases this wouldn't be a bad thing, but in others it would be a real shame. IMO, of course...

Doug

I'm only asking this from a semantics point of view (something I fail quite often in my own posts). From:

http://www.bartleby.com/68/90/6090.html

" "By the same token" is a Standard idiom, meaning "in the same way," "following the same reasoning," "according to the same or similar logic," or something of that sort. Since token is merely a loose figure, make certain that the "way," the "reasoning," or the "logic" is clear to the reader."

(Me) Does that mean you like filler where others don't? Or (assuming malice where I shouldn't, and trying to say this tongue in cheek) are you saying others hear filler, where you have some better listening that makes it not filler?

If you are just tying this into the computer software, saying that they don't recognize that some songs must fit together a certain way to make it sound correct, then I 100% agree with you. Albums like Blue Oyster Cult's Secret Treaties, Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here, Queensrychye's Empire and Mindcrime, Local H's Pack up the Cats....the tracks flow from one to the next and if the music player doesn't do it just right, it jars the ears. (Wondering if it could jar-jar the ears).

I know Winamp3 has a fade in/out feature which drove me crazy, maybe iTunes has the same? But I don't know the product to figure out the randomizing problem.

Kevin T. - VRWC
Sticking with media player