And here I thought my kitties just increased my risk
of finding half-a-mouse on the doorstoop and the
occasional hairball on a carpet...

http://my.webmd.com/content/Article/76/90032.htm?printing=true
"...New research shows that common house pets such as
cats and ferrets may easily become infected with the
SARS virus and spread the disease to others.
Researchers say the original source of the virus that
causes SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) is
still unknown, but many suspect it emerged from a wild
animal species.  However, the results of a new study
suggest that the animal reservoir from which the virus
may have jumped to humans may include a wide range of
animals, both domestic and wild...

"...Domestic cats living in an apartment complex in
Hong Kong that was particularly hard hit by the SARS
outbreak also were found to be infected with the SARS
virus.  In this study, researchers found through
laboratory testing that both domestic cats and ferrets
were easily infected with SARS virus taken from a
human patient. They also transmitted the virus to
other animals that live with them..."

It shouldn't be a problem in the US at the moment, but
a quarantine on animals from China and Hong Kong is
reasonable, until they find a reliable screening test
or a proper vaccine.  SARS becoming established in the
feral cat population here would not be good for humans
(or the endangered black-footed ferret).

Debbi