In a message dated 12/31/2003 6:07:05 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> The Scouring of the Shire was cut, and was not filmed.  The Shire is in
> > fine shape when they arrive.  Despite that, the ending does not feel
> > truncated.  The movie continues for about 20 minutes past the destruction
> of
> > the ring, with Aragorn's coronation, and the some Shire scenes, including
> > Frodo and Gandalf's departure at the Grey Havens 4 years later.  Even
> though
> > I miss the scouring, it's a satisfying ending.
> >
> I was originally upset when I heard the Scouring was not only not in the
> movie, but not even filmed.  That part of the books is one
> of my very favorites

I am glad they removed the scouring. I thought it was a stupid anti-climax in the
book. Hell they have beaten Sauron and the hobbits are the heroes of middle earth. How
could they not get rid of Saurimon and his henchmen? It is also an incredibly heavy
handed anti-industrial screed. I know that this is the subtext of the book but it can
be ignored if one chooses to.