--- The Fool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<<http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/01/09/60minutes/printable592330.shtml>>

> "From the very beginning, there was a conviction
> that Saddam Hussein was
> a bad person and that he needed to go," he tells
> Stahl. "For me, the
> notion of pre-emption, that the U.S. has the
> unilateral right to do
> whatever we decide to do is a really huge leap,"
> says O'Neill.
<snip>

So, is this a disgruntled employee snapping at the
folks who fired him?  Or is this former member of the
Nixon and Ford admins blowing a whistle for good
reason?

"...In the book, O’Neill says that the president did
not make decisions in a methodical way: there was no
free-flow of ideas or open debate...O'Neill is the
only one who spoke on the record, but Suskind says
that someone high up in the administration – Donald
Rumsfeld - warned O’Neill not to do this book...

"...During the campaign, candidate Bush had criticized
the Clinton-Gore Administration for being too
interventionist: "If we don't stop extending our
troops all around the world in nation-building
missions, then we're going to have a serious problem
coming down the road. And I'm going to prevent that."

“The thing that's most surprising, I think, is how
emphatically, from the very first, the administration
had said ‘X’ during the campaign, but from the first
day was often doing ‘Y,’” says Suskind. “Not just
saying ‘Y,’ but actively moving toward the opposite of
what they had said during the election.”

"...The former treasury secretary accuses Vice
President Dick Cheney of not being an honest broker,
but, with a handful of others, part of "a praetorian
guard that encircled the president" to block out
contrary views. "This is the way Dick likes it," says
O’Neill..."

Many of the people Bush has chosen to surround himself
with - Cheney and Ashcroft in particular - are not
friends of the Constitution, democracy, "the common
man" or the rule of law.  I am quite sure that I never
learned in Civics class that indefinite detention,
torture-by-proxy, and 'unquestioning belief is the
only form of patriotism allowed' were core American
values.

Debbi
But Some Are More Equal Than Others Maru   :-/