Wow Trent!

Amazing thoughts.  Just goes to show that You and the
gang are the smartest fans a guy could ask for.

Seriously cool stuff.

Alas,  Life with 3 small kids (age 6,9,11)  -- plus
many speeches and deadlines -- has left me with less
time for writing and a need to focus.  This is
frustrating.  I have seven lifespans worth of ideas
and the last year has been a complete loss,
fixtionwise... except for THE LIFE EATERS.

I wish I had the duplicator from KILN PEOPLE!

Or that I had a bunch of bright young writers eager to
play in my universe.

Seriously, could you two act as an archive of these
cool hoonish ideas?  Maybe organize them?  I hope to
find more time someday.

meanwhile thrive

With cordial regards,

David Brin
www.davidbrin.com

--- Trent Shipley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The evident enthusiasm of a certain list member has
> given me cause to ask
> myself whether Hoon, as a literary creation, might
> have broad-based apeal.  I
> think the answer must be affirmative.  Indeed, Hoon
> characters could have
> such strong psycho-cultural charisma that they would
> be the key to super-star
> levels of comic, book, movie, and above all branding
> success.
>
> The first item that strikes me about Hoon is the
> degree of psychological
> identification that they can elicit.  I am reminded
> of Stan Lee being
> interviewed about kid sidekicks in comic books.  He
> hated them, but the
> readers identifed with the sidekicks and sales went
> up.  More importantly, I
> am remined of tatoo artists who told me, in the
> course of researching a term
> paper in grad school, that the most popular subject
> for tatoos was the WB's
> Tazmanian Devil.  They couldn't explain why, but I
> think I can.
>
> Taz is both Archetypal -- representing the id driven
> oaf -- and a strong
> reference for psychological identification.  A lot
> of men and women, of whom
> many are given to tatoos, identify with the loutish,
> gooberish Taz.  In a
> sense, Hoon are Taz-Lite, though it is not fair to
> end the story there.  Taz
> fans like professional wrestling, monster trucks and
> NASCAR.  In constrast,
> Hoon fans might like NASCAR but they also like
> soccer and do not like monster
> trucks and pro-wrestling.  Hoon are not so much
> goobers as surfer dudes.  [I
> say surfer dude because "yachtsman" rather limits
> our target audience.]
>
> Of course, Hoon are not merely laid back surfer
> dudes, they are surfer dudes
> trapped in cubicles.  This introduces an element of
> Walter ? Mitty.  Even
> more, we get Arthur from the Tic.  Hoon give us
> Dilbert meets Taz, or even
> more, Dilbert realizes his inner Taz.  But unlike
> Arthur, our Hoon Hero or
> Heroes do not escape their nerdy existince merely to
> become hillariously
> campy homosexual nerds in tights and capes.
>
> We may know that most nerds traped in cubicles are
> in cubicles because they
> are nerds, and not the otherway about.
> Nevertheless, there is hardly a nerd
> who does not fantasize that he is a hero stuck in a
> nerd's cubicle.  What's
> more many of those cubicle drones long to realize
> their inner surfer dude.
> Why not do both at once?
>
> The Hoon angle is even better, because everyone
> resents bureaucracy.  Hoon
> give you the merchandisible opportunity to pander to
> that anti-bureaucratic
> resentment at every turn.
>
> So the formula is simple:
>
> Surfer dude (read Hoon) is traped in cubicle.
> [...]

=====
.
.
* Please note.  My email address of many years is changing FROM [EMAIL PROTECTED] TO
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ... (Or else use [EMAIL PROTECTED])