Folks,

The choice of email vs. voicemail seems to me to be a cultural thing
on several levels.

I've worked at big high-tech companies that were almost pure email
cultures -- pretty much the first thing any new group did was to set
up the email alias for the group.

Then again, it may be that a company prefers voicemail as a general
rule, but a particular organization (divisiton, department, task
force, what have you) prefers email. Or vice versa.

And of course, there's the business of personal preference. I've
called people whose outgoing voicemail announcements said, in effect,
"Go ahead and leave me a message if you don't care to hear from me.
Otherwise, send me an email." Some are friendly and funny, some are
genuinely snarly about it.

Finally, there is the great advice offered earlier: if your boss
wants you to use voicemail, use voicemail. But send an email that
says that you just left a voicemail, but wanted to make sure that
the message got through, so you're following up via email. I often
did this to good effect, though usually the other way 'round: sent
an email with all the details, and a quick voicemail follow-up.

Be sure to CC: your boss so that he sees that you're following his
instructions.

Dave