Jan wrote:

Also, to understand ones disfavor one must put it in historical
context. In the 17 & 1800s there was much disdane for Jewish
comunities becouse they did something specific that was considered at
the time to be immoral. They lent or barrowed money for intrest. Now
we do not think anything of such a practice becouse it is no-longer
considered by our culture to be vial. But you must take anti-semitism
at the time in context. The very ability to borrow or lend money for
intrest introduces time value of money. It means that if anyone is
borrowing or lending for intrest then everyone has to lend for
intrest, or face a devaluation of the money they do have. Most of the
issues which we not look on as anti-semitic had to do with the fact
that none but Jews were religiously allowed to engaged in this
practice. The resentment then came from the fact that one group was,
by doing something akin to being illegal, taking money away from
everyone else.

Baloney. They all had the power to outlaw usury if they didn't want the Jews to practice it. It's not as if the Jews had a lot of political power. They wanted the utility of borrowable money, they used the Jews for this purpose and then they turned around and used the fact that the Jews benefited from it as an excuse to persecute them.

--
Doug