On Monday 2004-02-16 18:46, Dan Minette wrote:
> OK, let me quote some numbers:
>
>       .
>
> "I'm going to ask about a few stories in the Bible. [See below.] Do you
> think that's literally true, meaning it happened that way word-for-word; or
> do you think it's meant as a lesson, but not to be taken literally?"
>
>       .
>

>  "The story of Noah and the ark in which it rained for 40 days and nights,
> the entire world was flooded, and only Noah, his family and the animals on
> their ark survived."
>
> Literally True  60%
> Not Literally True 33%
> No Opinion 7%     .
>
>  "The creation story in which the world was created in six days."
>
> Literally True  61%
> Not Literally True 30%
> No Opinion 8%
>       .
>
>  "The story about Moses parting the Red Sea so the Jews could escape from
> Egypt."
>
> Literally True  64%
> Not Literally True 28%
> No Opinion 8%
>
> 1) The Bible is the actual Word of God.
> 42%
>

> 2) The Bible is the  Word of God but not everything in it should be taken
> literally.
> 37%
>
> 3) The  Bible is a book written by men and is not the Word of God."
> 14%
>
> 4) Don't Know
> 6%
>
> Considering a lot more people take Genesis literally than choose #1 (almost
> 50% more), I'd argue that folks who choose #1 are very literal in their
> interpretation and don't just agree with Pius XII who said "The Bible is
> inherent insofar as it teaches those truths essential to salvation."
>
> Dan M.

Interesting.

Do you have any background on what appear to be survey results?

The discrepancy is between 42% agreeing that the Bible is the actual Word of
God and responses of 60% to 64% of respondents beliving that any *specific*
Genesis narrative is literally true.

The "face validity", naive interpretation would be that about 22% of
respondents are quasi-literalists.  They do not believe that one is *obliged*
to use a literalist hermenutic, but in the specific case of passage-X they
think some sort of literalist interpretation is appropriate.  So one might
not want to burn witches, one might be an amillinealist vis-a-vis the
Appocalypse of St. John but one belives that Moses parted the Red Sea in some
sense that can be squared with literalism.