<<http://zeitblog.zeitgeist.com/archives/000155.html>>

Lay off the Kool-aid Tom...
Tom Friedman, the Pulitzer prize winning Op-Ed page columnist for the New
York Times used to be such a smart guy. I think all the thin air he's
been breathing with all that travel he does has given him brain-damage.

Seriously.

For the last several months off and on, he's been "addressing" the
question of out-sourcing, or in its new politically-correct(?) moniker:
"off-shoring."

Friedman, and other know-nothing apologists for the thieves who steal
from the US treasury and US Taxpayers, yet take advantage of US military
and economic protection that makes outsourcing profitable , prattle on
and on about how outsourcing is a natural result of free trade, and that
Americans will just have to retrain themselves for higher-skill jobs in
order to compete and just "let these jobs go" because others can do them
"better" and "cheaper."

In his latest gem, he ends brown-nosing to the supply-siders like this:

What am I saying here? That it's more important for young Indians to have
jobs than Americans? Never. But I am saying that there is more to
outsourcing than just economics. There's also geopolitics. It is
inevitable in a networked world that our economy is going to shed certain
low-wage, low-prestige jobs. To the extent that they go to places like
India or Pakistan — where they are viewed as high-wage, high-prestige
jobs — we make not only a more prosperous world, but a safer world for
our own 20-year-olds.

Wow... who knew that electrical engineering jobs, biopharma jobs,
software development jobs, accounting jobs, radiology jobs -- all of
which were done here by people with advanced degrees; people who, with
the sweat of their creativity, built the the US high-technology economy
-- and all the others that are endlessly flowing to (mainly) India, China
and Russia they were really doing "low paid, low prestige jobs!!!"

Gee, I'll have to let my unemployed friends, many of whom have PhD's know
that they were really just low-wage, low-prestige slackers. They sure
were suckers to spend all those years in school, huh?

I guess it must be tough to be a very rich, well respected author who has
no actual understanding of economics, or trade, or what it takes to run a
business, or be part of a community. You really drank all the kool-aid,
didn't ya' Tom..?

Amazing.

Tom, go back home to Minnesota with your millions and retire. Pretty
please? You're not doing anyone any good... you just don't get it, do
you?

There ARE no other skills Americans can train themselves for. Why bother?
There is no bottom to the bottom any more. Outsourcing/Off-shoring is not
about skill -- it's only about cost. As soon as a skill becomes valuable
enough to command a salary that impacts some CEOs bonus, it will be
outsourced.

Let's repeat that: Outsourcing/Off-shoring is not about skill -- it's
only about cost.

No amount of hard work, no amount of skill, no amount of creativity will
save a single US job when a company decides that they can pay an Indian
worker $25/day or a Chinese worker $2.00/day with no benefits, and get
the US taxpayer to foot the bill for guarantying the world trade
mechanisms (read: the $450B+++ in military force-projection, economic and
diplomatic infrastructure) that allow them to do it.

You see, its not about the skills, its only about the money. Community be
damned. Country be damned. Real people living real lives who built this
economy be damned. All that's important is that CEOs milk their companies
and the taxpayer. Or, wasn't that obvious enough...?

I've been a software developer since the late 1970s when I was running my
own business in high-school. I was a VP in technology on Wall St. for
many years, and even helped jump-start this whole Internet thing by
putting JPMorgan & Co. on the Internet back in early 1991 -- JPMorgan was
the very first bank in the world on the Internet -- and helping to fund
the development of a little program called Mosaic (which later became
Netscape). I've run my own consulting business. I am the founder of a
start-up. God help me.

I am 41, I've got 25 years in this business and I know lots and lots and
lots of people. I have never seen such pessimism from so many smart,
smart people before. Why are they so blue? Its simple:

They know that no matter how hard they work, no matter how many degrees
they have, no matter how much have contributed/created in the past, and
no matter how much they are capable of creating in the future -- it
doesn't matter one bit. They're all toast. Because you see, its not about
training, or capability, or creativity, or past contributions, or future
potential... its only about cost. And there's no way they can win.

Ask any employer who's fired their IT people. they'll tell you: It
doesn't matter what their American staff was capable of creating or
achieving. They just don't want Americans, no matter what. Its all about
a race to the bottom; a race to see who can get away with paying the
least.

With about 3 Billion people in the world willing to work for pennies, and
with selfish, greedy, thoughtless corporate thugs willing to put the
shaft to Americans and others who made our high-technology world
possible, there's no possible way for American (or other) workers to
survive. There's just no competing with essentially free labor.

Let's see India, China, or Russia belly up to the bar and pay their fair
share of the hundreds-of-billions of dollars per year being stolen from
the US Taxpayer to make outsourcing possible. Lets see these companies
pay pack the treasury for the tax-base they are killing off which is
robbing the US of its ability to meet its own needs. Then, and ONLY THEN
will it be possible to discuss the economic merits of outsourcing.

We'll see that happen about the same time we find all those WMDs in Iraq.

In the meantime, you made your money Tom, stop rubbing our noses in it.

Please shut up and go away. Please?

Oh, Tom, one more thing: on your way out, why don't you take a trip to
offer your condolences to the family of Kevin Flanagan, a Bank of America
computer programmer who shot himself in the office parking lot in April
2003 after being laid off from his job. Flanagan was forced to train his
replacement from India as a condition for even receiving a severance
package before he was fired.

I suppose he was just another one of your "low prestige, low wage" types,
huh?

In fact, you should use all of those frequent flier miles you've accrued
for a lot of such trips... this is a scenario we're seeing a lot more of
thanks to people like you.

Seeing the Forest chimes in:
<<http://seetheforest.blogspot.com/2004_02_01_seetheforest_archive.html#10
7808906903660428>>

I don't think the job loss situation is about "trade" at all. I think the
use of the terms "trade" and "free trade" are clever ways to distract
from the real problem. "Trade" sounds great, OF COURSE we should "trade"
with others. Duh! But the arguments I have heard promoting sending jobs
offshore are pretty much the same argument as those for getting rid of
the minimum wage, for not having unions, for workers keeping quiet, doing
what they're told and being grateful that they have food and shelter at
all. As I wrote the other day in Trade, Jobs and the Ongoing Struggle,
"Show me where the current trade arguments are different from the minimum
wage arguments? They argue that raising (or even having) a minimum wage
keeps the poor from getting jobs. And they argue that asking trade
partners to protect workers rights and safety and pay higher wages keeps
THEIR poor from getting jobs."
I think this is about the moneyed interests -- corporations in this case
-- being able to make use of global unemployment to drive down not just
wages and benefits (costs) but also the power of workers. This is about
the struggle between labor and capital that has been going on and will go
on. Since they started shipping jobs to Mexico they have been able to
substantially weaken the unions and by weakening the unions they have
weakened the power of the Democratic coalition (with some help from
Ralph).

It seems that the question, Who is our economy FOR, anyway? gets more and
more relevant every day.

----
Shrub 04:
Don't Switch Horsemen Mid-Apocalypse