By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK, NYT complete story

Officials of several religious organizations, including the
Presbyterian, Lutheran and Episcopal churches, sent an open letter to
Congress yesterday opposing the proposed constitutional amendment
banning same-sex marriage.

"Although we have differing opinions on rights for same-sex couples,
we believe the Federal Marriage Amendment reflects a fundamental
disregard for individual civil rights and ignores differences among
our nation's many religious traditions," the letter said. The United
Church of Christ and the Unitarian Universalist Association, which
recognize same-sex marriages, also signed the letter. So did
representatives of the Anti-Defamation League, the Union for Reform
Judaism, the liberal Alliance of Baptists and the Quakers.

The Rev. Barry W. Lynn, executive director of Americans United for
Separation of Church and State, helped orchestrate the letter. As
United Church of Christ minister, he said, "I am disturbed that even
though I can perform a religious ritual to unite a same-gender couple,
the state won't recognize it because some different religious group
thinks I am theologically wrong."

But Diane L. Knippers, president of the Institute on Religion and
Democracy, a group that seeks to push the liberal Protestant
denominations in a more conservative direction, called the letter "a
blatant attempt by left-leaning religious leaders to undercut and
intimidate other religious voices." She said the amendment would
define marriage in civil law, not religious ritual.

Bugmenot NYT freeuserid password
http://tinyurl.com/2pub7

Gary D - Why is the state in the religion business of defining marriage?

#1 on google for libertarian liberal religion digest