<<http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20040816&s=dugger>>

On November 2 millions of Americans will cast their votes for President
in computerized voting systems that can be rigged by corporate or
local-election insiders. Some 98 million citizens, five out of every six
of the roughly 115 million who will go to the polls, will consign their
votes into computers that unidentified computer programmers, working in
the main for four private corporations and the officials of 10,500
election jurisdictions, could program to invisibly falsify the outcomes. 

...
Last fall during a public talk on "The Voting Machine War" for advanced
computer-science students at Stanford, Dill asked, "Why am I always being
asked to prove these systems aren't secure? The burden of proof ought to
be on the vendor. You ask about the hardware. 'Secret.' The software?
'Secret.' What's the cryptography? 'Can't tell you because that'll
compromise the secrecy of the machines.'... Federal testing procedures?
'Secret'! Results of the tests? 'Secret'! Basically we are required to
have blind faith." 

...
The Bush forces in Florida geared up for another purge of released felons
from the voter rolls. Ion Sancho, supervisor of elections for Leon
County, admits with shame that the state's felon purge in 2000 resulted
in more than 50,000 legal voters being disenfranchised. The state
elections division identified 47,000 more suspected felons, a list
disproportionately heavy with blacks, and asked that local election
supervisors purge them. The Bush people refused to make the list public,
but were ordered to do so by a judge. Only then was it discovered that
the list excluded felons who are Hispanic. In Florida Hispanics tend to
vote Republican. This dandy error was "absolutely unintentional," the
Bush people said--while abandoning the then indefensible list. Miami
Herald columnist Jim Defede wrote that Hood--an "amazing incompetent or
the leader of a frightening conspiracy"--must resign. 

...
In swing-state Ohio, under procedures approved by Republican Secretary of
State Kenneth Blackwell, thirty-one counties decided they would not use
paperless DREs in November, and three said they would. Blackwell then
ruled that because of unsolved security problems, none of them will. 

...
In Alabama two years ago, during a controversy over an election for
governor conducted mostly on op-scan machines, Attorney General Bill
Pryor, backing up the sheriff in one questioned county, ruled officially
that under state law anyone recounting the ballots would be subject to
arrest. This year President Bush, circumventing Senate hearings, elevated
Pryor to the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals in a recess appointment. 

...
The night of the November 2002 election, sixty-seven of the memory cards
used in Fulton County (Atlanta) disappeared. Running his laptop with a
dual battery, Behler says, in six or seven hours he could have changed
the totals on those sixty-seven cards. "There's no technical problem.
There was absolutely zero protection on the card itself. You throw the
card in, you just drill down into its files." 

...
After some agreements on a division of roles, Avi Rubin of Johns Hopkins
and three other scientists produced a devastating twenty-three-page
exposure of the Diebold software. That was followed by two more damaging
technical studies in Ohio. Then a "Red Team" exercise to break the
Diebold code was staged at RABA Technologies' headquarters in Maryland.
Four of the eight computer scientists on the team had worked at the
National Security Agency, and the team director had been the senior
technical director for the NSA. The team concluded, "A voter can be
deceived into thinking he is voting for one candidate when, in fact, the
software is recording the vote for another candidate." A security
vulnerability "allows a remote attacker to get complete control of the
machine." And one can "automatically upload malicious software" that will
"modify or delete elections." Some kids sniffing around in cyberspace had
led, step by step, to the dawning national realization that computerized
vote-counting puts democracy in grave danger. 
...

-------
<<http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-730votes,0,23041
4,print.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines>>

Miami-Dade elections officials find lost 2002 data  
 
 
 
By RACHEL LA CORTE
Associated Press

July 30, 2004, 2:06 PM EDT

MIAMI - 2002 gubernatorial primary that were originally believed lost in
computer crashes last year.

Seth Kaplan, spokesman for the Elections Supervisor office, said the
records were found on a compact disc in the office. "We are very
pleased," he said.

When the loss was initially reported earlier this week, state officials
had stressed that no votes were lost in the actual election. The record
of the votes had been believed lost during the crashes in April and
November of 2003, and county officials had said they did not have a
backup system in place until December.

The lost records marked the latest in a series of embarrassing episodes
involving Florida voting since the turmoil of the 2000 presidential race.

Despite the discovery of the disc, local activists expressed skepticism.

"There are now more questions than before," said Lida Rodriguez-Taseff,
chairwoman of the Miami-Dade Election Reform Coalition. "I certainly want
the disc, I certainly wish someone would test the original disc they are
now claiming they found and determine when that disc was made, where it
came from, whether it's been tampered with and if anyone's opened it."

A team from the state Division of Elections was sent to Miami earlier
this week to work with local officials to see what happened and whether
the information was retrievable. Kaplan said officials from the machine
vendor, Election Systems & Software Inc., were also in the office, though
he said it was Miami-Dade officials who found the disc.

Kaplan said the backup disc was likely lost due to transition in the
office within the past year. A new elections supervisor took over in July
2003.

Gov. Jeb Bush is "pleased they were able to retrieve the data," spokesman
Jacob DiPietre said.

Though election reform groups want random testing of both touchscreen and
optical scan machines during the state's Aug. 31 primary, state officials
say the machines already get rigorous testing.

"Touchscreen systems have worked successfully in hundreds of elections
since 2002 and we expect them to do the same in the upcoming election,"
said Alia Faraj, spokeswoman for Secretary of State Glenda Hood, who
oversees the state's elections. 

-----
Fox News in April, instructs employees how to report on the increasing
number of American fatalities in Iraq: ''Do not fall into the easy trap
of mourning the loss of U.S. lives''  -- NYT

_______________________________________________
http://www.mccmedia.com/mailman/listinfo/brin-l

Reply via email to