Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

At 02:41 PM 8/8/04, Dan Minette wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "JDG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2004 2:10 PM
Subject: Objective Evil

> The Catholic Church would argue that no, one should not... evil to prevent evil is still > evil. > > In reality, all the Catholic Church is saying here is the simple moral > precept that "the ends do not justify the means."

I may not have been as clear to others as I was to myself in the last post.
What I am saying is that the just war argument is very much a "ends
justifies the means" argument.

Maybe so.  Who decides if the ends justify the means?

(And again, this is a serious question. And I still have a point, other than the one on top of my pointy little head . . . ;-) )

In the end it's history that decides. How a decision is portraid in general to the world after it's been analyzed, evaluated, told, retold, summarized, trimmed to size, altered, told again and finally the essence that's left over after the whole process is written down and generally accepted as such. The one general opinion that is left after that is the judgement that either a majority or the vocal majority holds over which choice and how it was made. So unlike Dan I don't believe that it is an objective or fair process, it's merely a process that results in a generally held opinion.

Sonja :o)
ROU: All is fair in love and war....