>>Finally, the belief in absolutes is not a Romantic notion.  Faith in
thetrancendental is definatly a part of the enlightenment.  Kant, the
quintessential Enlightenment philosopher, speaks very clearly towards
that.Jefferson penned such a faith statement in the Declaration of
Independance.
<<

Jefferson and Kant are called enlightenment figures because of timing and poor
understanding.  Jefferson in fact was the last person to straddle both romanticism and
the enlightenment comfortably.  But soon after the american revolution romantics like
Keat saw that "democracy" was not socrates in togas but shopkeepers, tradesmen and
farmers shouting at each other in town meetings.  The Romantics turned their backs on
democracy.

Which is keeping in faith with kings and priests and Plato anyway...  The alliance had
been a brief one.

Oh, and Kant led to Hegel who was the philosophical father of BOTH Communism and
Nazism... and the neoconservative movement.  Spare me.

Oh, you can argue that I misuse the name "enlightenment" when I describe it in my
JRRTolkien paper.  Then maybe I need another term for whatever's the opposite in the
two sides that posit nostalgia vs progress, past vs future golden ages, feudalism vs
democracy, apprenticeships vs professions, crafts vs factories, incantations (of
faith, reason or oideology) vs pragmatism.

Even under "enlightenment" the french branch veered off course and resturned to
essences and platonism.  If our branch does that, Westren Civ will be captive again.