--- Russell Chapman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Did I understand the bit about the number of voters
> right?
> I got the impression that John Kerry got more votes
> in this election
> than any president in the history of the USA ever
> got?
> The popular vote thing I understand (though 1988 was
> a long time
> ago...), but to have that sort of change in voting
> levels seems amazing
> (especially to a citizen of a country where voting
> is compulsory...)
>
> Cheers
> Russell C.

Well, it's still a growing country, so I'm not clear
why anyone is making a big deal over this.  We had
fairly high turnout - high by late 20th century
standards, certainly.  Historically, when countries
are happy they have low turnout.  At election time,
the US has been an extremely happy country since 1980.
 That was 24 years ago, and there's been a lot of
population growth since then.  Combine the long period
of time since there has been a high turnout election
with the population growth since that time, and hey,
there you go.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]