On Nov 28, 2004, at 12:39 PM, Damon Agretto wrote:

And Warren, that sort of altitude is not going to win you any arguments, and in fact invalidates any sort of rational argument you with to present.

Not when I'm not presenting any rational argument, which would be pointless in dealing with fanatics.

It's tiresome -- very tiresome -- continually being the downtrodden minority. After a while you have to stop seeking rational détente; some fanatics will never get there.

I find it striking that when the victims of bigotry start using the same language as the bigots, we're told "shame on you" or to ramp back the rhetoric, as though it's poor form for us to defend ourselves. I don't even buy the "you're no better" argument, because I didn't throw the first punch. It's the *oppressors* that are in the wrong here, not those of us who will use any force necessary to defend our rights and our lives.