Ronn!Blankenship wrote:
Well, sort of, but not the type we are using here:

I am thinking of adding driving/fog lamps to a 1995 vehicle which did not originally have them. Someone (a man at church who sold cars part-time) told me a long time ago that doing something like that which adds a significant extra electrical load to the system can cause problems on cars built within the past 20 years or so which have a computer as part of the electrical/ignition system. Does anyone know if that is true, or is it safe to add them? Obviously it will do no good to mess something up and render the vehicle inoperable.

(FWIW, I have experience installing such lights on an older (pre-computer-as-an-essential-part-of-the-system) vehicle . . . )

If there is any such problem, I'd imagine that using a relay, so that the drain comes straight off the battery, would mitigate it, since car batteries act as pretty good voltage regulators on their own.

Never heard of such a problem, though.

Nick