On Apr 5, 2005, at 6:59 AM, Nick Arnett wrote:

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 10:48:50 +0100, William T Goodall wrote

But the fundamentalists are the fastest growing Christian sects.

I see this as part of a trend that goes far beyond Christianity and far beyond
religion. Fundamentalism of all sorts is on the rise, which I think is a
typical outcome of social and economic injustice. And the Bible has a great
deal to say about that.

Not just injustice -- uncertainty. When there's a lot of social stress such as war, pestilence, famine, etc., it seems that hardline sects get stronger. People seem to want to find a meaning in the chaos, and since a lot of the fundie cults offer putative meaning, they become attractive.

Thing is, there is no meaning.

Jim Wallis makes a nice observation that the answer to bad theology isn't
secularism, it's good theology. I'd imagine you think there's no such thing..
.?

I think my atheology is pretty sound. ;) Don't know how WTG feels. If the choice is limited to extremist religious expression versus moderate, I'd rather see the moderate.

-- Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books http://books.nightwares.com/ Current work in progress "The Seven-Year Mirror" http://www.nightwares.com/books/ockrassa/Flat_Out.pdf