On Apr 6, 2005, at 9:16 AM, Gautam Mukunda wrote:

--- Nick Arnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
They've taught me a great deal that helps me resist
my natural tendency to
criticize.  I suspect that you are as aware as
anyone of that trait in me, so
what do you think?  Is this a good thing at the
microscopic level of our
discussions here, if I am thus better able to
refrain from criticizing,
instead speaking to the values I hold?

Nick

My worry is that when you "speak to the values [you] hold" you're just asserting something.

Would a rationale for those values help you with that concern?

Since you root
all of these in religion, you're asserting the
unprovable and unfalsifiable.

Ethics, based in anything, is hard to falsify, isn't it?

You may be right or
wrong, but it's essentially impossible to debate.  If
you then suggest that people who disagree with you are
hypocritical or malign - as with the President in the
last couple of days, for example - then it becomes
difficult to do anything other than say, look, Nick
thinks God tells him what to do in Iraq and that since
I disagree with him, I'm disagreeing with God.  Maybe
that's not what you mean to say, but it's certainly
what you _seem_ to say.

The flipside of that is that this is precisely the subtext that is coming from the right wingers.

In Wallis's case, it seems to me that all he's really
saying is "God agrees with me" - and he pairs that
with a pathetic anti-Americanism that goes down fine
on the left, but that the other ~90% of the American
population (correctly) rejects as something between
actively morally malign and just equivocating between
good and evil - and Christianity, I think, has
something to say about equivocators as well.

Where'd you get the ~90% figure?

Preening seems like a big part of what
he does.  One could argue that it seems like a big
part of the environmental movement as well, for
example (why else prevent the use of DDT, for example?

Because DDT thins birds' egg shells. The biggest reason bald eagles are endangered is DDT -- it thinned the birds' shells so drastically that many embryos never survived to full development.

Is that a sufficient reason?

Rich white liberals could demonstrate how moral they
were - they were _Concerned_ about the environment -
without really giving up anything, because malaria had
already been wiped out in their countries, and if poor
brown people far away die in order to emphasize their
moral purity, well, so what?).  If I had to point out
the thing that really alienates the left from the rest
of the country and makes it difficult for it to win
elections, it's that attitude, and I suspect that
Wallis will make things worse, not better.

This is fascinating, because it's the rich white conservatives *now* that are ignoring the status of poor brown people, such as those in the Sudan, or the thousands dead in Iraq because of a misbegotten war pressed electively on verified-false data.

-- Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books http://books.nightwares.com/ Current work in progress "The Seven-Year Mirror" http://www.nightwares.com/books/ockrassa/Flat_Out.pdf