On Apr 9, 2005, at 11:04 AM, Dan Minette wrote:

From: "Warren Ockrassa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Well, why though? Isn't everything we state that is less than 100%
provable an opinion? Isn't it valid to read in the phrase "In my
opinion..." before any declaration, at least of values or judgments?

Obviously that wouldn't work for things like math ... [In my opinion] 2
+ 2 = 4. But isn't it self-apparent that when I say the Iraq war is
unjustifiable, I am issuing my own opinion on the topic?

But, the words actually do mean different things. Let me make two statements I consider true about Iraq and one that I consider false.

<true>
The actions of Hussein against his own people were unjustifiable

George Bush's decision to invade Iraq was mistaken
<end true>

<false>
Invading Iraq was an unjustifyable action
<end false

OK, but they're both sets of opinions, right? Whether or not the statements read differently, they are still expressions of personal ideas, not hard facts. My entire point is that it's unnecessary to preface opinions with flags that say "opinion".

Finally, I have difficulty with the idea of just three states: Yes, No, and
Uncertain. There is a great deal of difference between a 0.1% chance and a
99.9% chance, although both are uncertain.

True. Not sure how that's part of my objection to feeling a need to label every opinion as such, though.

-- Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books http://books.nightwares.com/ Current work in progress "The Seven-Year Mirror" http://www.nightwares.com/books/ockrassa/Flat_Out.pdf