On 18 Jun 2005, at 4:20 pm, Robert Seeberger wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "William T Goodall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2005 8:37 AM
Subject: Re: Religious zealot slaughters children

Stalinism and Nazism are both quasi-religions.

Capitalism and Democracy are quasi-religions too.

I don't think you are right there. Perhaps you could explain why you think so?

The reason I call Stalinism and Nazism quasi-religions (after the theologian Paul Tillich) is that they share enough of the identifying features of a religion to be called a religion.

One of these identifying features is a prophetic figure whose revelations form the basis of the religion. Such figures include Jesus, Hitler, Buddha, Marx. No corresponding individual exists for capitalism or democracy.

Another feature is the holy text: Bible, Mein Kampf, Das Kapital, Koran. Again, no such text exists for capitalism or democracy.

Another feature of religion is community - you are of the faith or not, a member of the Party or not. Again, not a feature of capitalism or democracy.

And so on...

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"The three chief virtues of a programmer are: Laziness, Impatience and Hubris" - Larry Wall