On 23 Jun 2005, at 5:06 pm, William T Goodall wrote:

On 23 Jun 2005, at 4:32 pm, Nick Arnett wrote:

I wasn't looking for data to respond to the religion-bashing that we enjoy now and then around here, but I happened across some that seemed too good to ignore. It is from Robert Putnam's Social Capital Benchmark Survey, which can
be found in various places online.

Here are some of the findings, which I believe add up to a very clear pattern of self-identified religious people doing far more for the greater good than non-religous people. I'm not arguing that religion makes people better; only that there is a strong correlation between being religious and creating social
good.

* Religious people are far more likely (30 percent v. 15 percent) to volunteer
for the needy.
* Many more religious people are active in non-religious volunteer work than
non-religious people (50 percent v. 35 percent).
* Contributions to charity are similar, but religious were slightly more
likely to do so.
* Religious are more involved in electoral politics.
* Non-religious are very slightly more likely to be involved in protests.

LOL. And Mussolini made the trains run on time and Hitler was kind to animals. As Heinlein (?) observed "you can't do one thing".

Of course the religious are keen to volunteer to interfere in the lives of the unfortunate - this is a golden opportunity to disseminate the virulent poison of their evil religious memes. This is just the same thing as STDs causing people to engage in increased sexual activity.

Indeed I find the whole idea of faith-based 'charitable' organisations getting involved with vulnerable people utterly obnoxious. They quite plainly have a not-so-hidden agenda, and aid being tied to evangelism is simply disgusting and reprehensible.

The same goes for politics - if you are an evil busybody filled with religious hatred who wants to interfere in other people's lives *of course* you get involved in politics.

Like taking over school boards to promote fundamentalist Creationist nonsense.

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"I speak better English than this villain Bush" - Mohammed Saeed al- Sahaf, Iraqi Information Minister