At 06:35 PM Monday 12/5/2005, Dave Land wrote:
On Dec 4, 2005, at 11:16 AM, Gary Nunn wrote:

Driving to work, at 5:00 am that morning was a REAL eye-opener.  I was
astounded at the number of people at the Super Wal-Mart. I made the
mistake
of stopping there to pick up donuts on the way to work

OK, I'm home sick from work today, and in my few minutes of
consciousness, I really should be doing something productive, but I
have to chime in and say, "Gary, you're *CONTRIBUTING* to the problem
just by shopping at Wal-Mart!"

Wal-Mart is the corporate equivalent of those rude shoppers. It
shoves ahead in line, it doesn't care whose toes it steps on to get
the best deal, it honks its horn and gives the finger to other
businesses, and it treats its employees like crap.

Unless all the other sources of donuts in your entire metropolitan
area have been run out of business by Wal-Mart (which is no small
consideration), may I suggest that you to buy them elsewhere? Your
own PS shows the wisdom of shopping elsewhere.

Merry Christmas,

Dave

PS: Much as I want to, I cannot say that I have never set foot inside
a Wal-Mart. Once, in San Diego, I went into one to extract my wife
and child who, ignoring my protests, went in to some kind of super
ultra mega Wal-Mart monstrosity to buy a pair of sunglasses.

As if there weren't 10,000 other places to buy sunglasses.

If it is the practice of opening in the wee small hours of the morning of the Friday after Thanksgiving to sell a limited number of a particular hot toy which TV and such have programmed the children of the shoppers to believe that they will not have any friends if they fail to get that particular toy for Christmas and so the parents have been duly warned that if they are not among the first in line when the doors open before dawn that they will not get one of that particular toy for their children is what you object to, then you will have to avoid shopping at many more stores than just Wal-Mart. And as I mentioned earlier, you will have to boycott both the local and national evening news and the newspapers, as the lead story on all of them on Thanksgiving and throughout the following weekend is the early-Friday-morning shopping frenzy and whether or not retailers are satisfied with the results (they never are . . . )

'Tis The Season Maru

--Ronn!  :)

"Since I was a small boy, two states have been added to our country and two words have been added to the pledge of Allegiance... UNDER GOD. Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that is a prayer and that would be eliminated from schools too?"
   -- Red Skelton