On Dec 22, 2005, at 11:21 AM, Max Battcher wrote:

Robert J. Chassell wrote:
I am curious, because of my fury that in the Middle Ages, Christian
Europe adopted an Indian/Arabic base 10 numerical system rather than
the better base 12 system.  Base 12 fits the number of Christian
Apostles.  It fits the number of eggs in dozen.  In base 12, you can
count on one hand.

As a person who has had to work across radixes it is much easier to deal with radixes that are powers of two (binary, base 4, octal, hexadecimal) than any other arbitrary base. There's a reason computers use binary or unary.

Base 12 sounds ridiculous, and all the more ridiculous for your religious ranting and racism.

Every base system is ridiculous and arbitrary, religious ranting and racism notwithstanding.

Case in point: express the (extremely common) quantity 1/10 exactly in binary...

Wikipedia, that knower of all things knowable, correct or not, goes on and on and on and on about number bases at http://en.wikipedia.org/ wiki/Numeral_system and on about a billion pages linked from it in the right-hand column.

Dave