----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Seeberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2006 11:21 AM
Subject: Re: Technique

> Is there any evidence that politicos sub-universally have the kind of
> respect for the Constitution that you are implying?
> For all we know they all wipe their asses with it, step on it, and
> flush it down the toilet while laughing maniacally. (Re: Abuses of the
> Koran at Gitmo)
>
> I expect that everyone reading this (sans the Echelon/Predator
> monitors) actually does have *that* kind of respect to one degree or
> another. But to expect such of career polititions is a decided leap of
> faith.

I think there are a number of arguments that could be raised to support the
contention that politicians do not consider the Constitution just a piece
of paper.  First, we have very extensive recordings of one of the most
cynical politicians I can recall: Richard M. Nixon.  I remember him saying
many outrageous things, but I don't recall that.

Second, the Constitution is a phenomenal piece of work.  It is the
foundation of the first republic to last...and has served us for 200+
years.  At the very least, politicians should recognize quality work in
their own field.

Third, in no sense is it "just a piece of paper" in the United States.  In
Zambia, for example, it is.  The president and the president's family are
totally above the law.  The president's son, according to Neli, is known to
have raped and killed a young woman...and nothing was done about it.  In
Zambia, the Constitution is, indeed, just a piece of paper.

In the US it is the basis for the game of politics.  It is assumed, not
neglected.  For example, after the Supreme Court ruled 9-0 that Nixon must
turn over his tapes, most of us expected him to do so.  If he still
refused, that would certainly have resulted in his impeachment being
sustained by the Senate.

Bush is arguing for a strong executive interpretation of the Constitution.
But, when the Supreme Court rules against him, as it did today, he accepts
their conclusion because he has no choice.  If he declared that the
President's interpretation of the Constitution overruled the Supreme Court,
he would be forced to back down one way or another...including impeachment.

I recall that Alexander Haig, in the last days of Nixon, took steps to
ensure an orderly transition, no matter what Nixon ordered.  Even staff
members as loyal as he was are loyal to the system first.

Given that, it's unlikely for a politician to say "the Constitution is just
a piece of paper."  It's much more likely that they would say "that's not
what it means" even if it is clear to everyone else that's what it means.

Dan M.