> >who had a meeting Tuesday evening and came home through some really
> >nasty fog, and who really, really wishes the county had sprung for
> >paint on one road in particular
>
> I'd be interested in the answer to that question, too, but afaik we
> haven't had any thick fog like that since I got it, unless perhaps
<snip>

Hazers and fog machines are used to make light beams visible in professional
lighting applications. In other words, if you have a PA rental service or a
discotheque around, you might be able to arrange for some demonstation of
their fog machines (hazers provide, as the name suggests, haze; this is
sufficient to make beams visible, but does not significantly limit the
visibility).

You'll get a bit blinded by the reflected/diffused light from the laser
youself if you stand in a thick fog. As your eyes adapt to the very bright
beam nearby, and the fog limits your vision as well, you won't be able to
see the beam further away. You'll need a second person who travels along the
beam to observe in the fog.

Note that extremely thick fog (visibility signifiacntly less that 1m/3ft) is
uncommon even in professional lighting. Loss of orientation is one thing,
but panic isn't very far away at this point as well. However, it might be an
option for your research. Instead of "visibility range 50m", you could work
at much closer ranges and scale accordingly.

Best regards, Klaus