> In a message dated 4/25/2006 9:49:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > For what it's worth, I think it is true, in some mysterious way, that
> the
> > universe was created in six days.  But I don't think that it really
> happened
> > that way
>
> what the hell does this mean?

I think it is true in the way that Shakespeare's plays are full of truth,
even though the events they portray didn't really happen.

Maybe the idea that everything was created in six days is just a way of
saying that we should have a day of rest and gratitude every seven days.
Maybe there's more to it than that.  Creation myths have all sorts of truth
in them, don't you think?

I'm content to let it remain a mystery.  Like many other things, I don't
think that whether or not it is literal truth would make any difference in
the way I live my life.  I often wonder what it is that literalists do
differently because they take a version of the creation story literally (I
say a version because the Bible has more than one).  What difference does it
make, really?

What does make a difference is that idea, which I embrace, that creation is
an ongoing act of God, here, now, in this moment and those to come.

Nick

--
Nick Arnett
[EMAIL PROTECTED]