Robert J. Chassell wrote:

  Filgard is a farmer whom Djem (pronounced in English, `Gem') and
  Leestel are visiting.

  On a totally different matter, not on paradigms, are my remarks on
  cows accurate?  As a young child I was a cowherd, but have forgot
  everything in the years since.

There's a lot about dairy farming here:

http://www.katfeete.net/nucleus/

especially earlier in the archives.

I never want to get involved in dairy farming, now that I've read it all. :P

    He started them walking.  "Time to go back to the farm house,"
    said Filgard.  They took a different route, this time past cows
    fenced in a large field. ... Several cows recognized the farmer
    and came up to him.  He patted their noses; so did Leestel, and
    with a bit of trepidation, Djem.  Filgard then give each a carrot
    he took out of a pocket.  "They are like horses, but more stupid,"
    he said.

The intelligence of a cow depends greatly on what breed it is. (Gleaned from the above-cited blog.)

        Julia