Ronn!Blankenship wrote:
Some months ago I was trimming some bushes near the house [I reported on that spate of activity with a message headlined "Bush was out of control!"] when I noted a bird nest in one of them. Being a nice person, I marked that part of the bush off=limits even though the nest was not at that time in use. Now, by way of thanks, it seems that the same pair of mockingbirds has built a nest in the bush at my mailbox, and in the spirit of protecting their nest, one of them attacks me every time I go to or near the mailbox. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to solve the problem which does not involve destroying the nest and any eggs/babies which may be in it or waiting until sometime in the fall after all the local birds have flown south for the winter to next get my mail (even if that does sound like a good way to deal with all the junk mail: just haul a trash can out there every six months or so and empty the mailbox into it . . . )?

A neighbor who was being dive-bombed by the barn swallows (and they're back for a third year) recommended putting moth balls in the spot you don't want them nesting just before nesting season.

I'm just hoping that whoever it is building a nest in the attic vent is OK - that's working out better for us than the ones building YAN (yet another nest) on the front porch. (Nothing like stepping out the front door and there being birdshit on the doormat....)

        Julia