Dan Minette wrote:
So, it seems that we agree that the planes flying into the building are
sufficient for the buildings to collapse.  We also agree that the pattern of
the collapse is consistent with rigorous structural analysis of the
buildings.

It is a very weird and unlikely concept, the whole conspiracy theory idea, but the more I look at it the less I accept the 9/11 commissions findings, so no, I don't agree, but I cant claim expertise in the matter.

The explanations these gentlemen give are
tailored to explain what was seen in the evidence, what they don't do
is eliminate alternate explanations and that is the item that I would
like to see.

The alternative explanation is that, in addition to the planes flying into
the WTC, bombs were placed by persons unknown, but probably connected with
someone like Dick Cheney, a while before that...and that the planes flew
into just those floors where bombs were placed.  The bomb people either had
to be really really good spooks, or coordinated with WTC security.  Given
the track record of the CIA and the plumbers, etc., I don't think of anyone
who is quite that good.

Further, the blasts couldn't have occurred on the outside structures,
because there would have been some outward puffs....that would not be part
of the general flames....even with the burning, multiple explosions of would
be seeable.  But, on the inside, which is full of melted aluminum which
could explode, the bombs could be masked.  So, I don't think that I could
falsify the existence of modest size bombs on the inner columns.
It appears that we agree that the well accepted explanation is both simple
and sufficient to explain what has been observed. In contrast, the
conspiracy theory relies on a number of variables all lining up perfectly to
conceal the blast.  For example, how did all of this coordination work,
between the AQ members and Dick, or whoever set up the bombs?  How did they
know just which floors to hit, and how could those undertrained pilots be so
good at hitting just the right floors?

I would agree, but they didn't need to hit the right floors

Watch "The Great Conspiracy"  - bottom right here:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=9%2F11

its an hour, but it is interesting. In it they show some videos of the collapse and in it is clear that the mast on top of WTC 1? begins to collapse down into the core of the building well before the rest of the structure, indicating that the central supports of the building (the key to its structural integrity) were the first things to go. They attribute this, and the damage on the ground floor prior to collapse, to bombs in the basement of the building (and elsewhere) that were triggered after the impact and that were the cause of the collapse. These bombs cut the central supports and initiated the collapse. They also have people inside the building, and seismic records etc that allegedly corroborate the idea. One thing that explains something that always worried me about the collapses but I never knew why, is the fact that the whole thing took around 10 seconds, in both cases. Given the height of the buildings ( I didn't take notes when I was watching, so watch it for details - they even have formulas !) this is basically free fall speed. So the structure of the building, even the thousands of tonnes of undamaged hurricane-proof steel and concrete below the collision levels, did absolutely nothing to impede the collapse speed. It is as if the whole building just broke into a zillion separate pieces and fell at free fall speed to the ground.

That video and this one, which covers some of the same ground but is more about the Pentagon impacts:

911 Loose Change Second Edition (from the same link)

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=9%2F11

are both pretty good. Why is the hole in the Pentagon so small, where is the plane debris, why are the engine remains that do exist from the wrong plane, why wont the government release the videos of the impact from nearby security cameras etc. And weird coincidences like that the pilot of the plane that hit the Pentagon was an ex-air force pilot who was part of a training exercise in which a plane was flown into the Pentagon just before he retired from the air-force to join American Airlines, all the put options on its stock a few days before, that Marvin Bush was kinda in charge of WTC security at the time of the attack, that Bush said he had seen the first impact before he went into the school room and talked to reporters about it ( a - he couldn't have and b - WTF?), that three separate exercises planned for the same day had denuded the US of air cover and confused any response to the hijacked planes etc etc.

It is just too strange to contemplate that it was an inside job, that part of it is the thing I find very hard to accept, the idea that anyone would think that they could get away with it. But there are a lot of things that don't seem to add up. And the 911 Commission (which took 411 days to start, and had an initial budget of 3 million, versus a week and 50 million for the Challenger disaster) report looks more like a whitewash to me the more I learn about it. If you have time, I suggest watching both those videos, they are not over the top, include a lot of what seem to be facts (videos we have all seen for example, but looked at more carefully) and, if nothing else, a fascinating look at the conspiracy theorists art.

Andrew