Dan Minette wrote:
> [...]
OK....we are back in territory I know a bit about. Before I started
doing electrical work I worked for 7 years in a manufacturing facility
with it's own machine shop and heat treat facility. I was  QC
inspector so I frequently performed Rockwell and Brinnel (No Joke)
hardness tests and was working-enviroment-aware of the results of
Charpy impact tests. I had to be taught a minimal bit of metalurgy in
order to understand what I was doing.

Dan is correct. Annealing is a heat treating process wherein metal is
made as soft and uniform as possible before it undergoes another heat
treating process that hardens it to a desired state. (Most of the
metals I worked with were 1018 &1020 carbon steels, 4130 & 4140 alloy
steels, 12Chrome & 17-4PH stainless steels and just a few others. The
company made chokes and valves to withstand 2000 - 40,000 PSI. They
machined from bar stock, castings, and forgings.)

We routinely case hardened (nitride hardening) machined stainless at
1200F without weakening the part and our heat treating used 2000F on
alloy parts *to make them harder*. But then this was an industrial
setting and a specific formula was being followed to get specific
results. AFAIK the sub-100F temperatures *could* produce the weakening
seen at WTC, but I can't say that I know that it *would*. The metals
we were using probably would not have weakened at such low temps (to
be honest I think the 1018 -1020 carbon steels could have, and further
I believe the structural components of building steel are a similar
metal with similar properties, say 1040 carbon steel.) But it all
depends on the specific metal being used in the structure *and* if it
were a quality product. I note that there has been some discussion of
the Titanics sinking being related to the poor quality of the metal
used in its hull.

To have a rational non-chaotic discussion on this subject I believe
one needs to understand the meanings of Hardness, Ductility, Yield
Strength, Tensile Strength, and Shear Strength in at least a general
manner, and to undertand how non-destructive testing and destructive
testing are done (At least in regards to materials science).

xponent
Metal Maru
rob