--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Charlie Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I see no biological basis for classifying the cells of the
> > zygote as part of some other organisim, so therfore it is its
> > own organism.
>
> It has no organs. How can it be an organism?

Since when did having organs become a requirement for an organism?
I am sure that a couple paramecium would like to have words with you
about being an organism.

> > Also biologically speaking, this organism must be classified as
> > the member of some species, and that species is clearly homo
> > sapiens sapiens.  So, that's my view on an individual.  Out of
> > curiosity -
> > what makes one an independent individual and what makes one a
> > non-individual in your mind?
>
> Surviving without direct biological support. A new-born baby is
> an
> individual. It has broken the direct link, budded away from the
> mother. Individual.

Of course, I fail to see what direct biological support a free-
floating zygote has.   It seems that the direct biological support
only comes *after implantation.*   But you just argued to me that it
was this direct biological support that creates an abortion - so now
I am thoroughly confused.

> Really? Some cancer cells function like amoeba. Motile. Others
> grow
> in clumps. In fact, they can be removed and cultured
> indefinitely.
> They have human DNA. They feed, grow and multiply quite happily.
> So
> clearly, according to you, they're human.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeLa for an example of a human-cell
> culture.

It would seem to me that cancer cells likely fail at least one of
the two tests, or both.  For one, many cancer cells do not seem to
be individuals, any more than a free-floating blood cell is an
individual.

For two, the wikipedia entry you posted says that these cells in
this case are not human, but are instead of another genera.

JDG