Merging several posts on this subject:

IMHO, that's not surprising when people are discussing sets of
presuppositions....especially when one of the people is convinced that his
own set is Truth.

Assuming, of course, that one's own presuppositions are just common sense,
while those of others are nonsense.  One of the problems I see here is that
William has long written as though he is convinced that _he_ is personally
authorative on questions of good/evil, right/wrong, and that differing with
him on chosen subjects is differing with Truth.

>From an empirical point of view, it would be fairly easy to look at the
operating differences between, say, the Catholic church and Scientology.
Inside or outside of these organizations, a sociologist could easily point
out how they differ.  The only problem is if one has a different set of
beliefs, and assume that they are facts...while other sets are nonsense.

I'd be more than happy to rigorously investigate what is and what is not
empirically based.  But, I've seen little interest in that in various
forums.  Mostly, there is an appeal to "obvious" suppositions, and "common
sense", which is a shorthand appeal to common presuppositions.  Some of
thee, BTW, I hold, but I try to be fairly rigorous as to what is empirically
based and what isn't.

David also wrote:

> O.K., let's try this again:
>
> William--  You, sir, are trolling.

I don't think he is a troll in the classic sense of not believing what he
writes.  It is impossible, of course, for me to prove this, but his
persistence over at least 5 years indicates to me that he sincerely believes
in the evil of certain belief sets that are inconsistent with his own.

> Look, I teach at a real school.  The phrase
> "Faith school" already sounds pretty bad to
> me, as it indicates that nothing of substance
> is taught.  Maru.

While I have disdain for this particular use of Jesus' name....finding it
blasphemous, actually.....I'm not sure about how you make such a separation.
For example, are all seminaries "not real schools?"

Dan M.