On Sep 13, 2006, at 4:24 PM, Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

At 05:49 PM Wednesday 9/13/2006, Gibson Jonathan wrote:
Yes, our friends and neighbors live an exceptionally rich fantasy life.

On Sep 13, 2006, at 12:38 PM, William T Goodall wrote:
On 13 Sep 2006, at 8:34PM, Dan Minette wrote:
I think she used some four letter words in response to the poll that stated that somewhere about 30% to 35% of Americans believed that the US government
was somehow involved in 9-11....besides questioning the poll's
methodology....she was rather upset that very many people at all could
subscribe to crackpot theories.

Most Americans believe in prophetic dreams; four in 10 say there were once "ancient advanced civilizations" such as Atlantis. 91.8% say they believe in God, a higher power or a cosmic force.

Crackpot theories are *very* popular in America.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2006-09-11-religion- survey_x.htm
--
William T Goodall

Sam Harris had a nice long talk w/Q&A at the Long Now Foundation late last year that describes the lunacy that afflicts far too many of us - his quest is to educate around religious tolerance and how much slack we give people on this topic whereas everywhere else in our lives we demand proof: legal contracts, structural collapses, scientific findings, etc. I particularly like his take on religious moderates giving vast cover to the extremists because they deny those motivations are really religious and do little to stop them - because they fear that they themselves are not sufficiently strong in their beliefs as compared to the zealots, and have little authority to say No.

Some notable items I recall from the talk {apx}:

"apx?

As in, I was citing from memory.

- Stem Cell Research: Since any

living

Yes, he stretches it to make the guffaw-factor greater - but the point of where we are going and what can be done is clear enough.

cell has the capacity to be developed into a clone/copy, then every time George Bush scratches his nose there is holocaust of potential life being destroyed.

Only if he scratches hard enough to get through the outer layer of dead epidermal cells which the body constantly sheds one way or another and gets to the live cells below them.

I heard Harris give a shortened version of this {C-SPAN?} where was a bit more graphic by making GwB digging in & picking his nose rather than scratching the exterior. The same issues apply, of course, even as he moderates his schtick.

- God, after creating all the vast cosmos, galaxies, planets, chose the land of Palestine for the Jews - acting in his role as an omniscient real estate broker.

He also allegedly helps people find their lost car keys. Why shouldn't He be a real estate broker, too.

- In the wake of Katrina how absurd it would be for a Senator on the floor of Congress to say we really need to pray to Poseidon more because that realm of the sea and storms is his... and he's angry. - Try to lecture someone suffering from an acute appendicitis rupturing about "intelligent design"... I'd add the purists should be required to waive their rights to inoculations for Bird Flu, etc.

Why?

Oh, to be consistent with the religio-philosophical framework espoused. Spread a limited resource among those who actually support science, education, reason, that sort of thing.
K?

- The arithmetic of souls: What happens when a cell

I presume from the context that you mean a fertilized egg cell rather than just any cell.

Yes.

divides into twins... two souls, right?

Why?

Because my simple napkin calc starts with the two eggs, stir & gestate, and then bake until brought to term... how can two hot-cross-bun children share one soul? I suppose they could be half-souls each, depending if Confucius rules apply and the difference is split ... ;-)

What happens when those cells sometimes reform back into one living embryo: does this mean that a soul is merged, or lost again, does it become a super-soul?!? I agree it doesn't add up.

Only if you ass—u—me that whatever a "soul" is, it is contained within a fertilized egg cell. All we can say for sure is that if a living human being requires some sort of spirit or essence or katra or whatever you call it then at some point prior to a live birth such an entity must enter or become associated with the unborn child. IIRC there are some religions which believe that the baby acquires a spirit or whatever they call it when s/he takes his/her first breath outside the womb.

I would favor the latter myself - if I had to choose before another Grand Inquisition.

- None of the absurd Old Testament rules for owning slaves {just don't beat them so their eyes and teeth fall out}, killing insolent children, slaying unbelievers you come across {even if there in their own town} as they worship at their own alters or even in their own homes... Kill, kill, kill and more killing is justified - even essential - and none of this {and more} was never repudiated by Jesus and still hold true for the fanatics. - He compares Islamic jihadis with Tibetan Buddhists and asks why one is so ready to suicide-bomb and another is not.

Why?

-- Ronn!  :)

I'd have to listen again, but he asked why there are no Tibetan suicide bombers attacking Chinese infrastructure, whereas Islamic memes are all-too ready to promote -or- accept these acts. I don't recall the details as he compared and contrasted. Have a listen - it's good.

Jonathan Gibson
www.formandfunction.com/word