John Gibson wrote:
I understand your acceptance.
Interesting that your friend is well-placed and
perhaps well-heeled -
this actually fits a premise I'll go into later about
people who know
where their bread gets buttered.  I'd really like to
know just how
these studies were funded, administered, who supplied
their raw data
and coordinated the results before accepting this -
given so much else
around the event is in question.  It may well take
serious scholarly
work a decade or two to sift this out.  If I have to
eat old crow that
is desiccated and moldy, so be it - are you equally
prepared?
--------------------------------
My response:
Well, I left the list largely in response to this sort
of thing, but against my better judgment, I have to
end, and I'd really like your answer to them.  It's my
friend you're slandering, after all.  So, I notice
that conspiracy theorists are often enthusiastic about
in describing vague, overarching conspiracies, so it's
worth taking this down to a concrete level.  This
isn't a "high levels of government" type conspiracy
you're describing, after all, one just involving say,
passive incompetence on the part of intelligence
agencies or what not.  You're suggesting that it's
possible that the towers themselves were destroyed by
something other than airplane impacts.

OK.  So let's think about what that implies.  On a
personal level, I could put it this way.  McKinsey was
thanked publicly by Mayor Bloomberg for its analysis
of the accident and the public safety response.  I
worked there, and while I wasn't part of that project,
I did look at the results.  If what you're positing
did occur, we _should have_ noticed.  You've mentioned
that you don't believe the MIT study on the towers as
well because you don't know who funded it.  I'm a
graduate student at MIT now, so there's another link.
Finally, I have at least three close friends who were
senior staff at the White House and Pentagon at the
time of the attack (one of whose desks was 50 feet
from the point of impact at the Pentagon, in fact), so
they probably would have had to know too.

On an even more personal level, my father is a
structural engineer and has been for more than thirty
years.  We've talked about the attacks many, many
times.  If there was really something highly
implausible about the way the attacks played out, he
_should_ have noticed.  My mother was trained as a
nuclear physicist (in fact, she got her PhD at 22,
making her surely one of the youngest people, and
certainly one of the youngest women, ever to do so -
and if you think that because she got it in India it's
not a "real" PhD, I'd just point out that her
professors were from MIT and CalTech, IIT Kanpur,
where she got her degree, might be the most difficult
school to get into in the world, and Richard Feynamn
was there for the oral defense of her dissertation)
who has spent the last 30 years doing safety analysis
for NASA - and is good enough at it that she was one
of the first people called to help with the Challenger
investigation.  So she certainly should have been able
to tell if there was something wrong with the official
explanation as well.

Let's see.  My friend on the 9/11 Commission was
chosen to be senior staff on probably the most
important investigation in history when she was in her
mid-20s.  After that she was accepted into, and is one
of the best students at, MIT's Political Science
program, certainly one of the 3 best programs anywhere
in International Relations and Security Studies.

Finally, people on the list know who I am.  You can
get my bio on the web by googling my name - it's the
first thing that will come up.  But I've spent a fair
amount of my life studying organizations (particularly
militaries) in crisis, and there's nothing strange or
surprising about the way people behaved on 9/11 to me.

So either my entire immediate family and a surprising
proportion of my friends, and I, were all in on the
conspiracy and thus guilty of the worst act of treason
since Benedict Arnold or we are guilty of truly heroic
levels of professional incompetence.  I'd say, given
the information above, there's at least a prima facie
case that we're not incompetent.  So I have to be
either in on it, or a complete idiot.  If what you
believe is true, one of those has to be.

So, John, my questions for you are really pretty
simple.  Given what I've written above:
1) Do you think  I was part of the conspiracy, at
least after the fact (I didn't have to be in on it
beforehand)?
2) If you do, why?  You've suggested that the people
who believe the official story "know which side their
bread is buttered on."  OK - who's buttering my bread?
3) If you _don't_ believe I was in on it, that leaves
two other possibilities.  Do you think (as I described
above) that a large proportion of my friends, family,
and colleagues are all complicit in high treason and I
just didn't twig to that?  And if so, what's their
motivation?
4) The other possibility, of course, is that all of us
are idiots.  I admit that this is a possibility.  Do
you have any particular evidence to suggest that this
is the case?

Best,
Gautam Mukunda (make sure you spell it right when you
do the Googling)

Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Freedom is not free"