On 21/09/2006, at 11:59 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Well according to Karl Popper there are no absolute facts in science. All scientific facts are in theory provisional since scientific facts are by definition falseafiable. Many things are so well established and so imbedded in a net of other well established facts that they are virtually certainly true or
at least mostly true (gravity evolution atomic  theory)

Sure, and that's the scientific small print that is implicit in every statement of fact. But it's often used wrongly, to state that the probabilitical nature of "scientific proof" means we can't be certain of some things. Which is bunk. There may be details that need filling out (we don't know every twist and turn along the family tree from bacteria to elephants, for example) but that doesn't mean we're not certain that there was a long time in between and that fish and invertebrates are ancestral to elephants. Or in your own field, that we're not certain that the brain is the organ that is responsible for thought. Yes, we *could* be wrong. It could yet turn out to be the heart. But really, it's not something that troubles us. So it's a fact.

Charlie