In a message dated 9/22/2006 9:39:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

That  natural
selection is *part* of the mechanism is close to certain.  But there's
way more to speciation - kin selection, sexual  selection, allopatric/
synpatric speciation. We're discovering some  amazing processes by
which differential survival rates are  maximised.

I think that what Pinker meant was that natural selection explains the
presence of useful functions in creatures. All of the other mechanisms exist
for
sure but to get good and useful doohickeys one needs selection.