----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Minette" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Killer Bs Discussion'" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2006 12:11 PM
Subject: RE: We Will Not Be Afraid

> I quoted the part that said it....
>
> <quote>
> Alien unlawful enemy combatants may be
> tried for violations of the law of war and other offenses triable by
> military commissions committed against the United States or its
> co-belligerents before, on, or after September 11, 2001.
> <end quote>
>
> That is the clause that sets up the procedures.  It clearly refers
> not to
> just unlawful enemy combatants, but alien unlawful enemy combatants.
>
> The key is reading chapter 47 of the bill...where my quote comes
> from.
> Earlier it says:
>
> <quote>
> (a) PURPOSE.-This chapter codifies and estab-
> lishes procedures governing the use of military commis-
> sions to try unlawful enemy combatants for violations of
> the law of war and other offenses triable by military
> commissions.
> <end quote>
>
> So, the bill states specifically that it's chapter 47 that codifies
> the
> procedures for using military commissions to try unlawful enemy
> combatants.
> Later in the chapter it says "Alien unlawful enemy combatants may be
> tried."
> Nowhere does it say that citizens who are unlawful enemy combatants.

I'm not sure if we are on the same page here.
(Certainly, I posted the links I did for informative reasons and not
as an example of my own beliefs. But I think you are missing the gist
of the argument given.)
What I am given to understand is not that US Citizens can be tried in
a tribunal, but that they can be held indefinitely, a removal of
habeas corpus rights westerners have enjoyed for many hundreds of
years.
This administration has done pretty much that with at least one
citizen and a good number of aliens even to this day and I see that as
the fear being expressed.

As a side note Dan, I recommend listening to Sunday Monitor (I believe
that is the name) on KPFT 90.1FM here locally Sunday evening at 6 PM.
(Or alternately you can hear a podcast of the show at kpft.org or at
http://themonitor.wordpress.com/ )
I listen after I take my son home and it really helps me to understand
and keep a finger on the pulse of the far left. The show is
not-quite-wingnut and pretty well spoken, and serves as a balance to
the folks who keep identifying Mark Foley as a Democrat. OTOH, they
make no attempt to be "Fair and balanced".<G>
Last Sunday they had a good bit of coverage (outraged coverage at
that) of this bill.

xponent
Broadness Maru
rob