Robert C said:

> Unfortunately, the argument, as I remember it, is that that you can
> only measure the direction (say) of a photon after its collapse.  It
> could be `up' (i.e., an arbitrary direction) or down (i.e., another
> arbitrary direction, but 180 degrees in the opposite direction).  You
> cannot predict ahead of time which photons are `up' and which are
> `down', so you cannot convey a message.

Yes, that's entirely right. The results of some measurements on
entangled systems will be such that they couldn't be explained by
local states of the components of the system, but while examining
each component the outcomes will look random. It's only when the
results of measurements on the various components are compared after
the fact that the "spooky" correlations can be seen.

Rich