----- Original Message -----
From: "William T Goodall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs (David Brin et al) Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 8:54 AM
Subject: Re: Polygamy

On 4 Feb 2008, at 14:40, Julia Thompson wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, William T Goodall wrote:

>>> You're failing to take into account lesbians who have absolutely
>>> no
>>> interest in men.  (Like several people in one of my social
>>> circles....)
>>> That might balance things out somewhat there, putting you back to
>>> square
>>> one.
>>

>> The consensus is that the  proportion of women who are lesbians is
>> much lower than the proportion of men who are gay. If we remove all
>> gay and lesbian people from the equation there is still a surplus
>> of
>> straight women to straight men. How big a surplus depends on whose
>> numbers for the proportions are correct.
>
> I think the concensus is off, then.  I think it's close to equal, or
> very
> slightly biased towards more lesbians.
>
> Do you have sources to cite?  I'd be interested in seeing them if
> you do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_sexual_orientation

"United States

1990: "Homosexuality/Heterosexuality: Concepts of Sexual Orientation"
published findings of 13.95% of males and 4.25% of females having had
either "extensive" or "more than incidental" homosexual experience.
[12]

1990-1992: The American National Health Interview Survey does
household interviews of the civilian non-institutionalized population.
The results of three of these surveys, done in 1990-1991 and based on
over 9,000 responses each time, found between 2-3% of the people
responding said yes to a set of statements which included "You are a
man who has had sex with another man at some time since 1977, even one
time." [13]

1992: The National Health and Social Life Survey asked 3,432
respondents whether they had any homosexual experience. The findings
were 1.3% for women within the past year, and 4.1% since 18 years; for
men, 2.7% within the past year, and 4.9% since 18 years;[14]

1993: The Alan Guttmacher Institute found of sexually active men aged
20–39 found that 2.3% had experienced same-sex sexual activity in the
last ten years, and 1.1% reported exclusive homosexual contact during
that time.[15]

1993: Researchers Samuel and Cynthia Janus surveyed American adults
aged 18 and over by distributing 4,550 questionnaires; 3,260 were
returned and 2,765 were usable. The results of the cross-sectional
nationwide survey stated men and women who reported frequent or
ongoing homosexual experiences were 9% of men and 5% of women. [16]

1998: A random survey of 1672 males (number used for analysis) aged 15
to 19. Subjects were asked a number of questions, including questions
relating to same-sex activity. This was done using two methods — a
pencil and paper method, and via computer, supplemented by a verbal
rendition of the questionnaire heard through headphones — which
obtained vastly different results. There was a 400% increase in males
reporting homosexual activity when the computer-audio system was used:
from a 1.5% to 5.5% positive response rate; the homosexual behavior
with the greatest reporting difference (800%, adjusted) was to the
question "Ever had receptive anal sex with another male": 0.1% to
0.8%.
[17]

2003: Smith's 2003 analysis of National Opinion Research Center
data[18] states that 4.9% of sexually active American males had had a
male sexual partner since age 18, but that "since age 18 less than 1%
are [exclusively] gay and 4+% bisexual". In the top twelve urban areas
however, the rates are double the national average. Smith adds that
"It is generally believed that including adolescent behavior would
further increase these rates."The NORC data has been criticised
because the original design sampling techniques were not followed, and
depended upon direct self report regarding masturbation and same sex
behaviors. (For example, the original data in the early 1990s reported
that approximately 40% of adult males had never masturbated--a finding
inconsistent with some other studies.)"
Inconsistent with other studies?????
Hell, that is inconsistent with reality!!!!!!
Masturbation is almost a universal fact of life.

But my experience is quite like Julia"s FTMP. In my experience more
women admit to bi-sexual tendencies than men, but the overall numbers
of those who identify themselves as strictly homosexual are fairly
even.

xponent
One Fisted Tales Of Disingenuity Maru
rob