Two reasons besides patrilocality that males might be more valuable:

Heavy labor it takes a lot of muscle mass - especially upper body muscle mass -
to do.
Nonmechanized warfare, ditto.

So you want sons to push the ox-plow and sons to wield a sword.

"Never judge a book by its movie."

http://idiotgrrl.livejournal.com/