>Now I'm curious - what's so wrong about McCain (beyond his
>killing of McAbel)?

Well, I'm not sure if you meant that as a serious question -- but for starters,
how about the fact that McCain has shown himself to be a shallow, venal,
opportunistic political hack who is willing to cozy up the very people who
viciously attacked him and impugned his war record and patriotism in 2000, just
because it's now convenient to have them do that to his enemies instead of him?
 How about the fact that he has sold out virtually every position he ever
staked out as a Republican "maverick" now that its more convenient for him to
get the support?  The man who once attacked right-wing religious leaders liked
Pat Roberson and James Dobson as "agents of intolerance" and a threat to the
democratic process has now, apparently, drunk the kool-aid and become their
born-again buddy.  This is a man who makes jokes to reporters about women being
raped by apes and liking it.  Everything that once seemed virtuous and
admirable about John McCain was either a lie, or something he was w
 illing to jettison when he got the chance to be embraced by his Party.  If
elected, his most important contribution will be keeping in place the same
political machinery that has been trashing our democracy for the past eight
years.  (Has anyone noticed that every Democratic president brings, for the
most part, a totally new administration into office, with a few experienced
people getting re-hired, but the Republicans have been recycling the same thugs
into different positions since the Nixon/Ford adminstrations?  The guy at the
top changes, but the faces around him seem familiar -- its sort of like one of
those horror movie franchises where you think you've gotten rid of the monster
but it keeps coming back for the sequal.)

I'm sorry if I stepped on your joke by taking the question seriously but I'm
scared to death that a lot of the "ostriches" out there (to borrow David Brin's
term) are just buying the whole "war hero, political maverick,
okay-for-a-Republican" schtick.  But what do I know?  I thought (twice) that
George Bush was unelectable ....