On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 5:49 PM, John Williams
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Some examples would be raising taxes for a national health care plan,
> barring
> a new store from being built on private property, banning short-sales of
> stock,
> raising the minimum wage, import/export tariffs, banning internet gambling,
> restricting offshoring, supporting a bailout of the financial industry
> using taxpayer
> money, windfall profit taxes, price ceilings on gasoline, repealing NAFTA,
> farm
> subsidies, banning smoking, trans-fats, etc....I could go on, but that will
> do for
> now. By the way, I do not mean to imply that you support these practices. I
> am
> only giving examples.
>
> >  Is  it an opposition to broad notions of economic and social justice?
>
> Huh?

I'm struggling to see those as examples of people imposing their will on
others.  They seem to be examples of people imposing their will on
themselves -- decisions made via the processes of law and justice, whose
ideal is quite the opposite of imposing one's will on others -- they are
intended to allow a nation to choose the rules it imposes on itself.  That's
democracy in action, except when it has been subverted by those who use
their wealth and power to corrupt the system.

Did you mean that those are all examples of such corruption?  That they are
unlawful imposition of ideals by a minority against the majority?  Or
perhaps you don't believe in self-rule?  I'm not getting the big picture
here, as I hope I have made clear.

As for my second question... For example, what ideal is being imposed when
raising taxes for a national health care plan, if not social justice?

Nick