Rich wrote:

Doug said:

> > But you must have read thousands of pages of history!
>
> About sixty thousand pages of history, I'd estimate. Not nearly
> enough, anyway.

Well that sounds like a hell of a lot to me.  I've read a bit of American
history, especially the Civil War, but I don't have the kind of command of
the facts that you do on what you've studied (especially with my library
still in boxes).

> But the problem is the opportunity cost of reading the Baroque Cycle.
> In that number of pages I could get through, for example, the whole
> surviving part of Livy's history of Rome, or a handful of modern
> histories. I'll get to it eventually, I suppose.

Well don't feel guilty about reading the Livy even if you _never_ get to the
Stephenson.

Doug