On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Jon Louis Mann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> > VP.
> > > Jon
>
> > > She would certainly be preferable to Palin!~)
> > > Seriously, there are many eligible Hispanic women who
> > are qualified to
> > > break the glass ceiling of vice presidential politics
> > for gender balance, as
> > > well as minority inclusion.
> > > Hispanics are fast becoming a majority in many parts
> > of America, so it is
> > > only right that they receive proportionate
> > representation in government at
> > > the highest levels.
> > > In my lifetime alone, enormous progress has been made,
> > partly because of
> > > affirmative action.
> > > Jon
>
> > I'll bite...
> > Would you care to name a few Latinas
> > that you feel would be qualified?
> > john
>
> I'll bite back, and take your bait, John.
> Surely you are you not suggesting that Hispanic women are not qualified to
> lead?   I doubt that you would reach such a racist and sexist conclusion.
> Back in 1968 Hispanic women started to address the imbalance:
> http://www.hwil.org/1.html
> Heer is a link to prominent Hispanic women in business:
> http://www.hbwa.net/
> Hispanic women in leadership:
> http://www.hwil.org/1.html
> Female Governors
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_state_governors_in_the_United_States#List_of_female_state_governors
>
> It is true that Hispanic women have rarely achieved the sort of prominence
> of Sarah Palin, but that has largely been because they are brown skinned and
> female.  I believe there has been one acting Hispanic female governor,
> however.  The first female governor elected without being the wife or widow
> of a past state governor was Ella T. Grasso of Connecticut in 1975.
>
> I was only able to find a couple Hispanic women in Congress:
> http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/popup/80elitewomen.asp?year=2003&id=115
> http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/popup/80elitewomen.asp?year=2003&id=114
> but no Senators, yet...
>
> That is slowly beginning to change with the emerging political power of
> Hispanics in certain sections of America.  It is also being expressed in the
> growth of Hispanic cultural worldwide.
>
> Finally, here is a link to delays in Senate Action on Judicial Nominations:
> http://leahy.senate.gov/press/199806/980618b.html
> Hope this answers your question?
> Jon

No. I asked who *you* thought was qualified.

There are 7 Latinas serving in the current Congress:

Ileana Ros-Lehtinen R-Fla
Lucille Roybal-Allard D-Calif
Nydia Velazquez D-NY
Loretta Sanchez D- Calif (sister of Linda Sanchez, D-Calif)
Grace Napolitano D-Calif
Hilda Solis D-Calif
Linda Sanchez D-Calif (sister of Loretta Sanchez, D-Calif)

They all serve in the House of Representatives. Ros-Lehtinen is ineligible
to serve as VP since she was born in Cuba. Nydia Velazquez was born in
Puerto Rico, however since Puerto Ricans born on the island are US citizens
by birth, she is eligible. All the rest were born on the mainland US.

Kimberly Casiano runs the largest publisher of Hispanic periodicals and
magazines in the US and serves as a director for Ford and Mutual of America.

Ana Escobedo Cabral is the current Treasurer of the United States. Linda
Chavez has held high positions in Republican administrations; she ran
against Barbara Mikulski for the Senate and lost. Quite a few Latinas serve
at the local and state levels. Of elected Latinas, Ileana Ros-Lehtinen
probably has the greater national profile, but she is not eligible to serve
as VP.

As I have said before, my vote is given to the candidate who most closely
matches my values. Ethnic pride aside, I would not vote for a candidate
simply because she was a Latina, just as I would not vote for a candidate
because he or she is a US Navy veteran, Roman Catholic, attended Jesuit high
school, played stickball, grew up in Harlem or listens to Tito Puente.

john