On 31/10/2008, at 7:59 AM, Jon Louis Mann wrote:
> The first time I did a bike tour, in 1987, I  decided at the last
> minute to go do s bikr tour, so I went to REI, bought their new 21
> speed Novara hybrid, and took it to LAX.  Air New Zealand was kind
> enough not to charge for oversize baggage since the bike was in the
> box.
>
> When I arrived in Auckland I took a bus to the Penny Farthing bike
> shop where the owner helped me assemble it.  At first i had no idea
> how to use the gears and had terrible cramps, but I hung in there,
> ate lots of Kiwi fruit and ended up in the best shape since I was in
> the Navy.
>
> We have a facility in Santa Monica called Bikerowave, where they
> provide tools and assistance to build your own bike.  I'll start
> with a 49 or 50 cm aluminum frame and probably go with three gears
> and onebrake.  I have a long torso and relatively short arms and
> legs, so I'll add a short stem to accommodates my 31 inch arms.  I
> plan to get the same kind of handle bars as on a messenger bike.  I
> thought about getting a quick release rear hub with a low and medium
> gear ratio, but I want to be able to freewheel down those hills.
>
> I plan to travel as light as possible with a bivouac sac,
> lightweight sleeping bag, thermorest, an anorak for when it rains,
> cargo shorts and vest with lots of pockets for my ipod, torch,
> bicycle tool, spoke wrench, tube repair kit, mirror, and various
> items.  i haven't decided what i will bring for Internet access.

Interesting. I don't have time to respond right now 'cause I'm just
about to hop on my own iron horse to head to work (a mere 7 miles...)
but I've got a few comments and suggestions. I'll respond tonight or
tomorrow!

How long are you planning to be touring? 'cause packing for a two week
tour is very different from packing for 10 months on the road!

Charlie
Who Has Spent Ten Months On The Road Maru