Ronn!  wrote:

> So what do you do if the present system is badly flawed but the only
> proposed alternative does not seem any better?
>
> (e.g., the named in the previous subject line)

If you're talking about heath care, maybe having tried the one system
and pretty much universally come to the conclusion that it sucks, I'd
say its time to try something else.  We pay 24% more per capita (2003)
 than anyone other country and not only isn't our care the best; we
don't even cover 1 of every 6 people in the country.  We pay much
higher administrative costs (and _not_ mostly for lawyers), more for
medicine (even though we take less) and when one of the 40 million
uninsured get sick they have to wait till they're so ill that they end
up in the emergency room where care is much more expensive.

The alternative might not seem any better, but for the money I'm
pretty sure it couldn't be much worse, and I think its high time we
try something else.

Doug